Islamabad, 6 March 2017: Former President of Pakistan Asif Ali Zardari today unfolded the Party’s legislative proposals in case of revival of military courts. He unfolded the salient features of proposals at a press conference in Zardari house Islamabad Monday evening.
Secretary General Senator PPPP Farhatullah Babar said that the proposals aim at safeguarding bare minimum standards of constitutionally guaranteed fair trial on the one hand and to prevent the misuse of these courts for political victimisation and witch hunting. Following are some of the salient features:-
Salient features of legislative proposals.
- The military courts will be presided over by 1 Session Judge or Additional Session Judge along with a military officer,
- The Sessions Judge / Additional sessions Judge will be nominated by the concerned Chief Justice,
- The period will be for 1 year from starting date,
- Right of Judicial Review by High Courts under Article 199 of the Constitution,
- The High Court shall decide the case within 60 day,
- Accused to be produced within 24 hours before the concerned Court,
- Accused to be supplied with grounds of arrest within 24 hours,
- Accused shall have right to engage a consul of his choice,
- Provisions of Qanoon-e-Shahadat 1984 shall apply,